Is your Safari pop up blocker not working? Very common issue! What usually happens here is that the Safari pop up blocker is working just fine–the problem is that you have what they call a malicious Safari toolbar that is causing these barrage of advertisements which appear to be pop ups, but, in fact, they are a different form of popups that Safari cannot squash. These toolbars generally are installed by a user, not realizing what they actually do (which is to deliver ads!). Some of the popular ones include Mackeeper and Zerobit which are hard to get rid of once you have them. Here’s what you have to do to get rid of these annoying popup generators:
Remove In the System Library:
– /Library/Application Support/MacKeeper
Remove In your User Library:
Another way that Safari can generate these popups is by DNS hijacking. This simply means that your computer is being directed to a separate DNS site (usually an ad generating site) first before sending your pages back to you. There are Safari toolbars that can cause this, or, other apps that can occasionally perform this nasty trick. Here’s how to stop that after following the steps above.
- Go to System Preferences > Network
Click the padlock icon in the lower left corner and the note “Click the lock to make changes”.
- Click the lock and enter your administrator password which is needed to change DNS servers
- Select your network in the left column and click the “Advanced” button
- Click the DNS tab to see your current DNS Servers
- Click the “-” icon to remove any existing DNS servers if it allows you to do so
- Click the “+” icon below to add the following DNS servers. Choose one or the other below, not both sets! Capital Mac Service uses OpenDNS on the family computers and Google DNS on our private computers.
Primary DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
Primary DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
- When you’ve completed these DNS changes, click “OK” to close Advanced settings
- Click “Apply” in the Network window to save these DNS changes
If you still get stuck with these popus, contact us today!
Incoming search terms:
- mac pop up blocker issues