“This copy of the Install OS X Mavericks application can’t be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading”
The reason why this insane message is happening is because as of February 2016, the security certificates that validate these Mac OS X installs seems to have expired. What this means is that when you try to install Mac OS X Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan from any USB or external source, the certificate checking process will render your copy of the installer null and void. You will then get the error “This copy of the Install OS X Mavericks application can’t be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.”
Thankfully, as annoying as this is, there’s a pretty easy fix in the Terminal, located on every installer of Mac OS X. Here’s what to do:
- Boot into the OS X installer as you would normally do (hold down option at boot and choose your installer
- Disconnect the ethernet cable if it’s connected and turn off wi-fi from the networking menu
- Open the utilities menu item and choose “Terminal”
- When the Terminal appears, simply type in the following command: date 0202020216
- Hit return and you will now see the new date as read back by the system
- Quit the Terminal
- You can now begin to reinstall OS X from the main screen as you did before
Why does this work in the Mac OS X Terminal?
The reason why this works is that you are actually turning your computer into a time machine–and you are telling it to go back to the date February 2nd, 2016. This tricks the certificate into believing that the date is now in the past and allows the installation to resume. You can also redownload any installers to get the new certificates, which are located in your purchase history on the Mac App Store. You would then have to make new installer disks with these new downloaded installers.
Please consider a small and secure donation if this post helped you with your issue!
Incoming search terms:
- how to load a dmg on mac that cannot be verified
- mountain lion this version cant be verified